This is a short, short version of what happened to me over the past week when I decided to get organized.
- Form a desire to organize my project files differently.
- Discover the Johnny Decimal system.
- Create a taxonomy for my files in a text file.
- Start writing PowerShell script to switch folders based on the Johnny Decimal number
- Start writing a PowerShell script to index all the Johnny Decimal numbers in my folder tree
- Think about working with files from the command line more often
- Install Midnight Commander for a command line file manager
- Learn a lot of Midnight Commander shortcuts and customizations
- Learn about Far Manager, which is a lot like Midnight Commander but works much better on Windows
- Run into keyboard shortcut conflicts with Windows Terminal
- Learn about assigning and removing keyboard shortcuts in Windows Terminal
- Start thinking about using todo.txt from the Windows Terminal, because my TaskPaper file has been too big for months and is awful to work with
- Tried to find a todo.txt command line app for Windows that works on my machine
- Thought about writing my own todo.txt command line app using an old C# library I created
And…I still haven’t organized anything yet. 😅